How do you clean your bed after you pee in it? Mix vinegar and borax/washing soda. The same product may work for incontinence odors and stains. Cider vinegar or a 50/50 borax-sodium carbonate (washing soda) solution are also a good option. Never use ammonia to clean mattresses, linens, or clothes of urine smell.
So don’t worry, your mattress isn’t damaged. Follow this step-by-step instruction to the best method for eliminating pee stains from mattresses.
After cleaning, you want to know how long does it take for a peed bed to dry. With sufficient air circulation, a slightly damp mattress can dry in a few hours, whereas a wet mattress may take a day or more. Let the mattress dry completely before using it again to prevent mold growth and damage.
If bedwetting happens, here’s how to get urine out of a mattress.
How to Get Pee out of a Mattress- 6 Simple Steps
How do you get pee out of a mattress DIY? In just six easy steps, you will learn how to get pee out of a mattress:
- Step 1: Remove the Bedding
- Step 2: Blot the Area (Don’t Scrub)
- Step 3: Spray Vinegar Solution on the Stain
- Step 4: Allow the Vinegar Solution Soak
- Step 5: Cover the Area with Baking Soda
- Step 6: Vacuum Up the Dry Baking Soda
Step 1: Remove the Bedding
Remove your sheets and get your bedding into the washing machine.
Step 2: Blot the Area (Don’t Scrub)
Blot the dirty area with a clean, dry cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible. Scrubbing will press the liquid deeper into the mattress fabric, making removing it difficult.
Step 3: Spray Vinegar Solution on the Stain
In a spray bottle, combine one part white vinegar, two parts cold water, and a few tablespoons of washing detergent. Apply a lot of dye; let it soak!
Step 4: Allow the Vinegar Solution Soak
Let the mattress soak in the homemade cleaning solution for at least ten to fifteen minutes. Blot the extra liquid by dabbing it with a fresh, clean cloth.
Step 5: Cover the Area with Baking Soda
Spread baking soda generously. Leave the baking soda on the mattress for as long as possible. We recommend 8 hours.
Step 6: Vacuum Up the Dry Baking Soda
Vacuum dry baking soda from the mattress with a hose. Make sure the powder is completely dry before vacuuming it up. A wet/dry vacuum can also clear the damp powder.
Note: Check the mattress after you’ve vacuumed it. Repeat steps three to six if any lingering odors or stains persist.
How to Remove Pee Stains from a Mattress?
Can you remove old urine stains from mattress? Yes, you can, so how do I remove a urine stain from a mattress that is there for a very long time? Here is the quick steps guide:
- Sprinkle baking soda over the stain and leave it for at least eight hours.
- Rubbing the stain might drive the urine deeper into the fabric.
- Remove the powder from the mattress with a handheld vacuum or hose attachment when it is scorched.
Note: Can I clean other stains with this method? Yes, you can use this method to clean other stains on the mattresses.
How to Remove Urine Smell from a Mattress?
After removing pee stains, you still feel the urine smell out of the mattress and wonder how to remove a pee odor from a mattress. Here are the simple steps:
- Add baking soda to areas that smell bad, especially strong-smelling spots.
- Cover the mattress with baking soda and leave it for 5 to 10 hours. Then, clean the mattress. Do it again if you need to.
- Pour some essential oil of your choice into a spray bottle full of water. This will help cover up any smells that are still there.
Note: What Can Get Rid of the Urine Smell? Baking soda and essential oils are often robust to drive away strong urine smells and deodorize a mattress.
How do you clean a mattress after a child wets the bed?
- Take off the bedding: After removing the bedding, place it in the laundry machine as soon as possible.
- Blot the mattress: Blot the peed with a clean towel while the bedding is in the washer. Do not press too hard; pee will push through the mattress fibers.
- Spray vinegar solution: In a spray bottle, combine two to three tablespoons of liquid laundry detergent, one cup of distilled white vinegar, and two cups of cold water. Give the bottle a good shake.
- Let it soak: Spray vinegar on the peed area and let it soak. Wait 10–15 minutes before blotting with another clean towel. Ensure there is no extra liquid left.
- Sprinkle some baking soda: Allow the baking soda to remain for 8–10 hours to ensure that baking soda can absorb dampness this way. Additionally, it deep cleans your mattress.
- Vacuum the dry baking soda: Clean the dried baking soda with the vacuum after 8–10 hours. See if your mattress still smells like your child’s pee. Repeat the process if there is a minor odor.
How do you get dog pee out of a mattress?
Sometimes, your pet dog pees on your mattress, and you want to know does dog pee come out of mattress. Here is the easy process:
- Mix 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 to 4 drops of liquid laundry detergent or dish soap to make a mix.
- Use a spray bottle to liberally apply the solution to damaged areas and let it soak in.
- Hold on until the mix dries.
How can I remove cat urine from a mattress?
Can you get cat pee out of mattress? Yes, you can here is a quick guide to get the cat pee out of the mattress:
- Spray 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, and 4 ounces of laundry soap on the urine.
- After it dries, sprinkle dry baking soda over the area to pull out the water.
- Leave it there for a few hours before cleaning.
In conclusion, dealing with a pee-stained mattress is unpleasant but manageable. You can effectively remove urine stains and odors from your mattress with proper cleaning methods.
Remember to act swiftly, blot rather than rub, use appropriate cleaning solutions, and allow the mattress to dry thoroughly.
With patience and the proper techniques for how to get pee out of a mattress, you can restore your mattress to its former freshness and ensure a good night’s sleep.
FAQs – How to get Pee out of a Mattress
How Much Time Does Pee Take to Dry on a Mattress?
Urine dries relatively quickly. It may vanish in as little as two to four hours. The mattress may still smell like urine, even if it’s dry.
How to Remove Urine from a Mattress Without Using Vinegar?
There are alternatives to vinegar for people who don’t like it or don’t have any on hand: Water and dish soap: In a spray bottle, mix a few drops of light dish soap with water. Spray the area that needs help, wait a few minutes, and then soak up the solution and pee.
How long does dog urine smell last in bed?
The unpleasant smell of pet pee may disappear within 15 minutes of a thorough washing, but it usually takes several days. Untreated pee spots can take five years to stop stinking.
How to Dry Urine from a Mattress Fast?
You may want to know how to dry a wet mattress. Allow urine to air dry with vinegar or baking soda, but open windows or use a fan to speed up the process. Don’t wipe—gently dab the area with a dry cloth to avoid worsening the pee stain.
How to quickly remove the smell of cat urine from a mattress?
Apply a thin layer of baking soda to the entire mattress to neutralize urine scents. Place a thicker layer of baking soda in areas that smell stronger. Leave the baking soda uncovered for 5–10+ hours before vacuuming.
What Neutralizes Urine?
Due to urine’s high pH and acidity, baking soda’s low pH neutralizes its scent. To neutralize urine, apply baking soda to the affected area and leave it there for five hours or overnight.
How do you clean a foam mattress of urine?
How to get urine out of memory foam mattress? Using water and dish soap is possible: mix a few drops of light dish soap with water in a spray bottle. Spray the area that needs help, wait a few minutes, and then soak up the solution and pee.
How long do you keep baking soda on a mattress?
What happens if you leave baking soda on mattress too long? Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress with a flour sifter and let it sit for 30 minutes. Better outcomes come with prolonged baking soda storage. It can run for 24 hours. Open your windows while baking soda rests on your mattress for natural light.
Can urine in a mattress cause bed bugs?
Bed bugs like warm places, histamine, and carbon dioxide, meaning urine on a bed is an excellent place for them to live.
Is a mattress ruined if it gets wet?
A wet mattress may not be damaged but may be challenging to repair. Water can cause mold and bacteria growth, causing odors and health problems.
How to clean pee out of a mattress without baking soda?
Put white vinegar straight from the container into a spray bottle. Add a few drops of your preferred essential oil if the vinegar aroma is too overpowering. Please don’t soak the pee stain; spray it until it’s gone. The vinegar needs to settle for around 10 minutes.
How do you remove mattress pee without vinegar and baking soda?
Sprinkle borax powder liberally on urine stains. Cover the stained area completely. Another option is to apply a paste of one cup of borax and one tablespoon of water to the stain. Use a soft brush to apply borax to the stain softly.