A Twin XL is 5 inches longer and 15 inches slimmer than a Full. Twin XL beds often cannot fit more than one person comfortably, but they are an excellent solution for a single sleeper who is too tall for a conventional-size bed.
In this article, we will delve into what a Twin XL vs Full-Size mattress is, their respective advantages and disadvantages, and factors to ponder when deciding between them.
Difference Between Twin XL vs Full Mattress Size
|Length||80 inches||75 inches|
|Width||38 inches||54 inches|
|Surface Area||3040 sq. inches||4050 sq. inches|
|Price||$849 – $1949||$899 – $2099|
|Occupancy||1 child/ teen/ adult||1 adult|
|Best For||Tall Sleepers Tight Budgets Narrow Rooms||Shared Beds Space to Sprawl Larger Rooms|
|Recommended Room Size||8 feet by 10 feet||10 feet by 12 feet|
What is a Twin XL Size Mattress?
The Twin XL mattress is excellent for tall people who need more leg space. The dimensions are 38″ x 80″, 5 inches longer than a traditional Twin bed but the same width. Here’s a closer look at its pros and cons.
- Ample Space for One: A Twin XL mattress provides enough room for a single sleeper to stretch out comfortably without taking up too much floor space.
- Ideal for Growing Kids: It’s a fantastic choice for children and teenagers who may need extra length as they grow taller.
- Fits in Smaller Rooms: Its compact size makes it suitable for bedrooms with limited space, dorm rooms, or guest rooms.
- Budget-Friendly: Twin XL mattresses are often more affordable than more extensive options, making them cost-effective.
- Not Suitable for Couples: A Twin XL might not be big enough for both of you if you sleep with someone else.
- Limited Length: While it’s longer than a standard Twin mattress, taller individuals may still find it short.
- No Extra Width: The Twin XL doesn’t provide additional width, so you may feel cramped if you move around a lot during sleep.
What is a Full-Size Mattress?
A Full-size mattress (also called a double) bed is usually 75 inches long and 54 inches wide. Full-size mattresses can be found in a range of thicknesses, often between 8 and 14 inches. Let’s explore its advantages and disadvantages.
- Spacious for One: A Full-Size mattress offers more room for single sleepers to move around comfortably.
- Decent for Couples: It can comfortably accommodate two adults while not as spacious as a Queen or King.
- Great for Growing Kids: It’s an excellent choice for teenagers or college students who want more space than a Twin XL.
- Versatile: Full-size mattresses fit well in various room sizes and can serve as a guest bed.
- Size Constraints: A Full-Size mattress might feel snug for couples who prefer more space.
- Space Consumption: It takes up more room than a Twin XL, so it may not be suitable for smaller bedrooms.
- Price Consideration: Full-size mattresses can be more expensive than Twin XL options, which could impact your budget.
Factors to Consider when Deciding Between a Twin XL or Full Mattress
Twin XL mattresses are better for taller people who need to save room, while Full-size mattresses are better for single sleepers who are average weight or heavier.
When deciding between a Twin XL mattress and a Full-size mattress, it is essential to consider the size of your bedroom, the amount of sleep you get, your income, and the purpose of the mattress.
A Twin XL mattress is perfect for taller individuals who need extra legroom. A Full (Double) mattress is 54 inches wide and 75 inches long, making it more comprehensive. It provides additional space for solo sleepers or comfortable couples.
When choosing between the two, consider your body size and sleeping preferences. If you’re taller or tend to move around during sleep, the Twin XL might be your best bet.
However, if you have the space and desire more room to stretch out, the Full mattress could be the way to go.
2. Room Size
This size is ideal for smaller bedrooms, dorm rooms, or guest rooms with limited space. Its compact dimensions make it versatile for various room layouts.
While a Full mattress is still relatively compact, it does require a bit more room. It’s an excellent choice for a single adult or a shared bedroom.
Consider the dimensions of your bedroom and the other furniture you plan to include. Ensure there’s enough space for comfortable movement around the mattress.
3. Other Sleepers
If you share your bed with someone else, consider their comfort, too. A Twin XL is best for single sleepers, while a Full-Size mattress is a more practical choice for couples. Assess your sleeping arrangements to make the right decision.
4. Space to Sprawl
Evaluate the size of your bedroom or the room where the mattress will be placed. A Twin XL may be the more logical if you have limited space.
However, a Full-Size mattress can provide more sleeping space without feeling cramped if you have a larger room.
Finding sheets, blankets, and other bedding accessories for a Twin XL mattress is relatively easy due to its everyday use in dormitories.
Full-sized bedding is widely available and comes in various designs, making it easier to match your bedroom decor.
The availability of bedding accessories may not be the primary factor in your decision, but it can influence the overall aesthetics of your bedroom.
Twin XL mattresses are generally more affordable than Full mattresses. If you’re on a budget, this size might be the better choice.
Full mattresses are slightly more expensive due to their larger size. However, the price difference may not be substantial, making it accessible to many consumers.
Budget considerations can significantly affect decision-making, so weigh your options carefully.
In the Twin XL vs Full Mattress showdown, the choice ultimately comes down to your needs and preferences. When deciding, consider factors like room size, sleeping habits, budget, and comfort requirements.
Both mattress sizes have their merits, so you can rest easy knowing you’ll find the perfect fit for a good night’s sleep.
How much bigger is a Twin XL than a Full?
It’s important to note the difference in dimensions between a Full (53″ x 75″) and a Twin XL (38″ x 80″). The length of a Twin XL mattress is 15 inches, which is 5 inches more than that of a Full.
What distinguishes a Full Mattress from a Twin XL?
A full mattress measures 53 inches in width by 75 inches, while a twin XL mattress measures 38 inches in width by 80 inches in length. A full is 15 inches wider than a twin, and a twin is 5 inches longer.
Will Twin XL sheets fit a Full bed?
Full beds don’t fit twin XL sheets. With a full bed being 15 inches bigger and a twin XL mattress being five inches longer, each mattress size needs its own set of sheets.
Can Twin sheets fit a Twin XL bed?
Due to the five-inch height difference between the two mattress sizes, a regular twin-fitted sheet will not fit a twin XL mattress. Sleeping on a twin XL mattress is like sleeping on a queen XL mattress.
Can two adults sleep on a Full mattress?
Yes. The full-size bed is comfortable for two average-sized individuals, but it may be too small for those who want more space when they sleep or are very tall or heavy. Two average-sized persons can sleep comfortably in a double bed, but no more than that can be expected.